Santarrosa quits ‘SuperXclusivo’

Primera Hora,STAFF,PRIMERA HORA,LA COMAY 6.JPG,SAN JUAN,PR,JRASI6

From Caribbean Business

Antulio “Kobbo” Santarrosa has reportedly quit WAPA TV amid a Facebook-based boycott of his “SuperXclusivo” show that has spurred advertisers to drop the ratings leader.

The producer and comedian is the voice of La Comay, a five-foot-tall puppets with a foam head painted with outrageous red lips, a shrill voice and a penchant for salacious details that has lifted “SuperXclusivo” to the top of Puerto Rico’s gossip circuit, with legions tuning into her show every afternoon ready for the latest bombshell.

Sources told the island’s leading Spanish-language daily that Santarrosa tendered his resignation on Monday, saying he could not work under conditions set by WAPA TV weeks into boycott of “SuperXclusivo” that was spurred by comments by La Comay regarding the slaying of publicist José Enrique Gómez Saladín late last year. The report by El Nuevo Día said station management tried to get Santarrosa to reconsider his resignation.

WAPA TV TV chief Joe Ramos chief Joe Ramos said last month that “SuperXclusivo” and its puppet host La Comay are being on tape delay after years of leading the local TV ratings as a live show.

“We’ll review it before it goes on the air,” Ramos said. “With a window of one for two hours we can minimize the offensive comments that may affect portions of the community.”

The program has been derided for being over-the-top sensationalist and for broadcasting derogatory comments against women and gays, but “Super Xclusivo” remains the main news source for thousands in the U.S. territory and hundreds of Puerto Ricans in Florida and New York. Much of the island comes to a stop every afternoon to watch La Comay not only talk small-town gossip but also expose government and business corruption scandals.

Leading national Hispanic organizations have voiced support for the boycott, which was launched via social media after what critics perceived as defamatory comments made by La Comay about Gómez Saladín, who police say was carjacked, set on fire and beaten to death. The boycott has led several national and local advertisers to drop support for the program and the station.

Police said the Nov. 30 carjacking occurred on a street known for its drugs and prostitutes. La Comay had questioned whether the victim was “asking for this” by being there.

Ramos has already issued an apology for any offense caused by the comments, which basically echoed other reports about the killing in Spanish-language media outlets in Puerto Rico. He acknowledged in a New York Times interview that pulling the plug on the ratings juggernaut “SuperXclusivo” has been considered but that the wildly popular show will remain on the air.

Tuesday’s broadcast of “SuperXlusivo” was a taped repeat of Monday’s show.

Advertisements

Categories: NGL News

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s